Nutritionist-dietitian VS nutritionist technician

When you need nutritional counseling, the first question that comes to mind is, “What is the difference between a licensed nutritionist-dietitian and a nutritionist technician?”

A licensed nutritionist-dietitian is a health professional with three years of study plus two years of master’s degree for specialization. After graduation they can work with both healthy people or people with various health problems by diagnosing eating disorders and planning meals for weight management.

A nutrition technician is a person who has taken a course for only 3 or 6 months in which he has learned some nutrition information without practice in the field. They cannot offer advice, recommendations or diets to people with health problems (it is forbidden by law) but only general recommendations to healthy people.

Nutrition is a science-based field, so it is constantly changing, which is why it needs continuous improvement. Attending as many nutrition conferences, seminars or workshops helps a nutritionist-dietitian to have the necessary knowledge to be able to work with anyone who needs help both in terms of nutrition or health problems (e.g. gastric, renal, hepatic, cardiovascular, etc.) where he can make the necessary nutrition recommendations.

The best choice will be a licensed nutritionist-dietitian because they have many years of study with official exams, training and practice. All the while, a nutritionist technician completes at most one online course or obtains a pseudo-diploma from a non-accredited institution.

My advice is to find out about the credentials the person you are asking for help for you to make the right choice.

Scroll to Top